Downstream Service - Ecological Functions
Downstream services (DS) ReSAC is going to deliver are summarized in the following three services:
- P1 - Preparation and update of map and GIS database for the forest areas and forest area changes
- P2 - Preparation and update of map and GIS database for forest fire infrastructure
- P3 - Rapid mapping for disaster management
Description of Service/Products
The main objectives are to help the Executive Forest Agency in their responsibilities of management and control over the regeneration of forests, afforestation, erosion processes, protection of biodiversity, forest fire prevention and fighting, protection of forests from pests and diseases, utilization of timber and non-timber forest resources, and others.
- in-situ data required for service production which include Forest Management Plans in GIS format with attributive information;
- statistical data of past natural and man-made disasters
- EO data from VHR and HR satellites for different seasons of the year and repetitive acquisition each year for update of the products
- administrative documents - laws, regulations, and decrees, related to the national forest management
The main specifications for the main products to be delivered are:
- Forest Area Map 2011/2012/2013
with three classes forest area type: Coniferous forest, Deciduous forest, and Shrub
Main specification and acceptability threshold is the accuracy level of 85% (+/- 10%) for thematic mapping of the forest area and a minimum mapping unit of 1 ha;
- Forest Density Map 20011/2013
with ten classes forest area type
Main specification and acceptability threshold is the accuracy level of 85% (+/- 10%) for thematic mapping and a minimum mapping unit of 1 ha;
- Forest Change Systems Map 20011/2013
with four classes forest area type
Main specification and acceptability threshold is the accuracy level of 85% (+/- 10%) for thematic mapping and a minimum mapping unit of 1 ha.
- GIS Dataset containing the updated Forest Area, Forest Change System, and Forest Fire Infrastructure;
- Disaster Reference Map – based on the event date;
- Disaster Extent Map - based on the event date
Use of GMES Core Data Sets (HR Forest Layers and Core Image Data)
The FMCSs and Land Monitoring Core Services will be part of the processing line of our services. In the first step they will be used for faster delineation of the forest area. In addition they will play a role in validation of the final products.
The main input from GMES data are the EO data. Delivery in time of the specified services depends on the provision of the necessary satellite data.
Envisaged Service Area
The proposed test site for downstream service development coincides with the borders of DGS Zemen, Breznik, and Tran. They are situated in central parts of Western Bulgaria, in South-Western planning region (NUTS II).